Great selection Read more [...]
Set in the heart of Argyll Lochgilphead Golf Club is an ideal stop off for golfers heading to Machrihanish from Glasgow or Oban. The 9 hole, 4112 yard par 64 course was opened in 1962 due to the inspiration of Dr Iain MacCammond the Physician Superindendent of the Argyll and Bute Hospital who was also a member of the R&A. The course offers a variety of challenges and as such is an excellent test of golf. The course is a picturesque layout and offers incredible views of the Mid Argyll countryside.
The 5th hole is the signature hole on the course. It is a challenging 170 yard par 3 with a narrow sloping fairway leading to a postage stamp green.
Green fees are £10 for 9 holes or £20 for a day ticket (£25 for a weekend day ticket). The clubhouse can be opened on request for group bookings. We have a limited supply of sets of golf clubs for free hire. For further information visit the website www.lochgilphead-golf.com , e-mail email@example.com or phone 07500 047 962.
The clubhouse is available to hire for functions comprising up to 50 people.
History of the Club
Golf in Lochgilphead dates back 125 years to 1891. The original course was situated in the town but during the Second World War the ground was taken over for agricultural purposes. The question of the formation of a new course near the town had been discussed in the years after the end of the war. In the late 1950’s Dr Iain MacCammond, the Physician Superintendent of the Argyll and Bute Hospital put forward a proposal for a golf course to be built, which he felt would benefit the patients and staff of the Hospital. A 27 acre area of land was leased from the Hospital and work was completed on the course in May 1962. Mr MacCammond was elected the first Chairman of the Club and Mrs MacCammond had the distinction of becoming the first Lady Champion.
As the population of Lochgilphead increased so did the membership of the Club. As a result it was proposed that a Clubhouse was built with changing facilities to serve both members and visitors. With the assistance of grants from Argyll and Bute District Council, the Highlands and Island Development Board, Tennant-Caledonian Brewery and the Clydesdale Bank the Clubhouse became a reality and was opened in 1979. To this day visiting golfers receive a warm Argyll welcome at Lochgilphead Golf Club.